An Overview of the Daily Ongoings of Zach Ricci-Braum

03 June 2011

Dia Due, Parte Due

Back at the convent for a little rest and rexalation, but more importantly, an escape from the heat.  It was a hot one indeed.  Didn't go inside the Colleseum yet because it had a long line and by the time we were ready to go back the street leading to it had been closed off.  We did, however, see the Imperial Palace on the Palatine hill and actually got to walk through some of the ruins.  It is stunning to see a ancient marble floor in the middle of a bunch of dirt and be able to go up to it and see it and touch it.  We then moved on to see all of the major arches (Constantine, Titus, Semptimius Severus), and the Forum.  After lunch we made it into what would be the equivilent of the Smithsonian, and I saw the famous bronze of Marcus Aurelius on his horse.  There was much more including a fantastic collection of busts and statuary, but to comment on each individual one would take me weeks.  I suppose that is what they have the curators for!  The general consensus after seeing the museum was to head back to the convent, but Zach here never winds down, and I wanted to see more.  Stebbins and I went on a little side trip to the Market of Trajan, and I speak for both of us when I say that it was a unique and out of the way place.  Thinking of all the ancients actually shopping here gave both of us chills.  We even figured out which ones were the beverage stalls and saw one that had holes in the walls for a counter (or something of that nature).  The market was special in that I didn't have guards breathing down my neck the whole time....that was nice.  It was expensive (€9) but well worth it.  There is so much to see and I have a feeling that it is really only Stebbs and I that want to see everything.  I can not get enough of this.  Whether it is simply an overturned capital--the top section of a colum--or the ruins of a grand villa I am interested.  I don't care that some things aren't as well-preserved as others, I am just glad to be here and suck up all of the history that I can.  Without reservation I can say that I am doing my best to do that!  Took a passel of film pictures today but way more digital.  I am developing quite the eye for photography!  Hopefully I can put up a few pictures during the trip but that won't be till later as the computers here do not have an SD card port.  In fact the only thing they seem to have is a keyboard.....and we already know how I feel about those.  I think it is high time for me to lay down and rest my legs, but before that I am going out for gelato!  Ciao for now.  -Z

No comments:

Post a Comment