An Overview of the Daily Ongoings of Zach Ricci-Braum

11 June 2011

Pompei e Firenze

So yesterday we went to Pompei, early in the morning and walked around for longer than you might have expected.  If you were to put a younger child in a candy store that would be a proper analogue for me and Pompei.  It is east to see why people devote their lives to the study of the classics, I have to admit it is a tempting route to take.  The plaster casts of the bodies were not as spectacular as the buildings and the sheer amount of things that were preserved.  As it would be easy to predict, I was all over it.  I love this country and can't seem to get enough of it.  In the late afternoon and evening we made a sport of waiting around for the train to come.  I got on and decided to go to the WC (somehow the British termenology, Water Closet, has made it to Italy and stuck) and when I came back some Gypsy woman had seatjacked me.  I figured she needed it more than I did so I adjusted and found another place to sit by a complete stranger.  All worked out, as it always does.  It's not that I am homesick so much as I would prefer to have better communication back home.  As I write I am sitting in an internet cafe off the streets of Florence.  I coldn't write anything yesterday because the internet at the convent is down, or as the nun and I were telling people, "no internet oggi."  I wanted to write but there was no way, and now I have forgotten some of the things that I wanted to mention about Pompei.  Here in Florence the shopping is crazy, but I can't seem to find any jewelry that I like enough to buy.  I found a couple good things including a cape that someone had asked for (it is more of a poncho and is very red but I hope she will like it--it does fold square--) and I got an etching for myself.  It seems to be fun here, but a lot of the people that are selling stuff are not Italian or even close to Italian.  There are a lot of Indians and Chineese here.  It surprised me, that's for sure.  I decided to take the time out of my day now to write because I honestly don't know when I will be able to get back on later.  Here in Florence I saw the Dome on the Cathedral.  Along with designing it, Fillipo Brunelleschi is buried under it.  Some other notable sights were the Rape of the Sabine Women, and Vinny and Pauly D from Jersey Shore.  I knew that if I wasn't looking for them, I would be the one to find them.  Funny how things work out.  Alas I didn't really care that much but I kid you not I was standing a foot in front of them, turn around and realize that they are sitting on the step behind me.  It's funnier because a lot of the people who were causing me mental pain would have killed to see them.  And then there's me, wandering around looking for lunch.  All I have to say is ha.  I win again!  I hope that I am able to get on later tonight, but I am not too sure that that is going to be possible. You never know what is going to happen here in Italy, wether it is a bus running late or a treni (a train) running early, you just have to roll with the punches.  Apart from everyone else still being annoying and immature as ever I am having a great time and doing my best to take in as much culture as I can.  As my internet is about to expire I leave you.  It will only be a few days till I am back home, back where I know what is going on and can sleep in my own bed.  Until then.  -Z

No comments:

Post a Comment