An Overview of the Daily Ongoings of Zach Ricci-Braum

06 June 2011

The Other Hand: This is what's on it.

I am much imporved today.  The broad spectrum antibiotics worked a miracle on me and my fever is gone.  So today we got up and went to a totally different country.  Well, in a way I suppose.  We went to the Vatican!  The museum was fantastic (considering that they managed to "preserve" so much from so many parts of the world it oughta be) and I honestly believe that I could spend a solid week in there and not get bored.  It is literally huge.  I saw the original "Augustus of Prima Porta" and took my picture next to him standing the same way.  Looked pretty good if I do say so myself.  I then stood and marveled at the "School of Athens" by Rafael.  Can you even believe that some people were looking the other way?  I was awestruck.  By the art, I mean.  We then went to St. Peter's Basilica and I walked around with a Deacon from Colorado who has been studying here for four years.  He is getting ordained on the 18th.  Anyway he really knew his stuff and was glad to share it.  That really made the experience special.  Seeing the "Pieta" up close left me breathless!  Then I had lunch at a nearby bar (they aren't like American bars, when you see bar you think coffee and panini, they do serve alcohol but that is not the focus).  My sandwich was pretty darn good. I mailed a postcard from the Vatican post office.  Then we all made it back to the convent where, on the way, I bought una mela--an apple--and another roll of film for my camera.  Good thing I brought digital too because I have taken about 300 pictures with it already!  I showered and I think I'm about to go upstairs and rest my legs before we go back out later.  It has been a great day, without question.  -Z

No comments:

Post a Comment