An Overview of the Daily Ongoings of Zach Ricci-Braum

12 June 2011

I'm Basically Rick Steves

Today I did my own thing while everyone else decided to be lazy and do nothing.  It was--first and foermost--a very long walk but in my mind it was well worth it.  I started the day at ten with a pear from the fruitstand near the convent and then proceeded to walk down the road twoard the Ara Pacis Agustae.  I figured that if I headed in the direction of the Spanish Steps that I would be fine, and lo and behold, I was.  The Alter was brilliantly preserved and the frieze on the side was especially exciting for me!  After spending about an hour there (not to mention the 9€ to get in!) I moved outside to walk around the Mausoleum of Augustus.  No one was allowed in, but that does not detract from the fact that it is an impressive building.  Then I decided to walk over the Pont Cavour and go to Castel Sant'Angelo.  This is a mevieval castle that was previously the imposing tomb of the emporer Hadrian, you know, the guy with the wall.  I spent an hour or so in there and then took a stroll down the Tiber river to cross at Tiber Island so I could see the Theatre of Marcellus.  It was probably the only ruin I've seen on the trip that didn't cost me anything to view.  Thank goodness too because I am running a little low on Euro, but I refuse to take out anymore seeing as I am leaving tomorrow.  I spent some money on a T-shirt for my brother and currently have only 3€ left!  I know the perfect place for dinner where I can get a calzone for 3.5€.  I'm sure I can get a half euro from someone!  I don't want to nap but I'll tell you after walking around a vast majority of Rome I feel that I deserve it!  I have a feeling that I will post something later today so I won't ramble.  Between now and then?  A good shower and shave, sitting and observing the people, maybe a sit on the roof, and I think I will pack my suitcase a little better than it is packed already.  Ah well, can't have everything in perfect order!  -Z

No comments:

Post a Comment